Our amazing client is worldwide famous for its twenty-first century art from Africa and its Diaspora. The client is based at the beautiful Waterfront and is looking for You, a Registrar, to join their team.
You are the perfect candidate, if You like to ensure that all objects, permanent and loaned collection are handled, condition reported, stored, transported, and exhibited in an environment and manner conducive to the preservation of artworks. You will work on the development of the collection database and collection digitization to provide clear and effective catalogue information to the curatorial and content creation staff. You will be a member of the Collections Management and Exhibition Registration team. You will collaboratively alongside the Curatorial, Operations, Finance, Facilities, Security departments towards the company`s continued growth and development. In addition, you will also assist with various administrative and management functions.
Minimum Qualifications: Completion of an undergraduate degree, such as a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in art history, museum studies, cultural heritage studies, archaeology, visual culture, or an equivalent qualification
Minimum Experience: Minimum of 3 years’ experience working within a cultural context, experience working with a museum database programme, such as TMS or EmbARK, knowledge and application of collections management practices coupled with basic knowledge of conservation principles and techniques, knowledge and experience of artwork installation methods, artwork handling, packing and storage practices related to exhibition, transportation, and the preservation of art objects
- Knowledge of art history
- Completion of a graduate degree, such as a Master of Arts (MA) in art history, museum studies, cultural heritage studies, archaeology, visual culture, or an equivalent qualification
Skills and/or Competencies:
- strong administration and coordination skills, with a methodical approach and attention to detail
- excellent research skills
- flexible working hours when installation schedule requires it
- strong computer skills, including the use of Microsoft Office applications
- passionate and knowledgeable about contemporary culture from Africa and its Diaspora
Collections, Exhibition Registration and Installation
- Manage the installation and de-installation process of all exhibitions
- Completion of condition reporting for all incoming and outgoing artworks
- Processing of all incoming and outgoing loan requests in consultation with the Registrar and museum curators
- Facilitate the creation of museum guidelines outlining acceptable object handling, transportation and storage
- Monitoring of artwork handling by the installation crews, Preparator, and Assistant Preparator during installation and de-installation
- Create object labels as required for exhibitions
- Manage the photographic documentation of all exhibitions
- Facilitate and manage the museum’s artwork insurance policy, including updating the fiscal values of all objects in the collection on an annual basis so that objects are insured at current values
- Work closely with the museum curators to determine that all environmental factors
- Prepare reports detailing material qualities and preservation requirements of potential acquisitions for review of the Acquisition Committee.
- Oversee the matting and framing of artworks as required
- Oversee and coordinate with the Facilities department in the implementation pest control programme as required
- Monitor cleaning procedures in galleries so that artworks are not at risk of being damaged by cleaning staff and cleaning staff are protected from harm
- Manage the copyright procedures for reproduction
- Manage the ongoing maintenance of the archive of all digital and physical collateral related to each artist held collections
If you are the perfect fit for the present position, please forward your CV and salary expectation to email@example.com
We’re looking forward to hearing from you!
Related Jobs (9)
National Learning and Development Manager, Global Cosmetic Company on February 19, 2019 Permanent
Quality and Process Excellence Manager – Cape Town on November 16, 2018 Permanent